"Own the whiteboard, get the funding."
In this full-day, in-person workshop, you'll learn to apply the power of visual thinking in the office, school, or home. This is a fun-filled, hands-on, action-packed day that empowers participants to think differently, communicate more effectively, and collaborate with others in a way that has real impact.
- Workshop Name: Visual Thinking 101
- Maximum Class Size: 10
- Catering: Lunch and light refreshments provided throughout the day
This is our flagship introductory training program that hundreds of people have used to kickstart their journey to visual literacy.
Taught by an accredited Sketch Group visual thinking instructor, this workshop will teach you:
- the science behind why visual thinking is so effective
- the situations in which visual thinking can be most useful
- basic drawing and lettering tips: objects, faces, figures, expressions, abstract concepts, and more
- layout options for organising information
- how to harness the power of metaphor when synthesising concepts
- and much, much more...
Additionally, all participants will receive an exclusive Sketchnoter's Starter Kit, containing a collection of refillable Neuland markers for use in the workshop and beyond.
Who is it for?
This workshop is for anyone who:
- is curious about using visual thinking
- is interested in developing more effective ways of communicating to colleagues or customers
- wants to improve collaboration within your team(s)
- identifies with the notion of "I can't draw!" (we'll teach you—you'll be amazed what you are capable of by the end of the day)
- wants a fun, challenging and rewarding day of professional development that you can use immediately
This includes anyone working in the following roles:
- communications professionals
- UX/CX practitioners
- service designers
- team leaders
- and ... you!
What's in the kit?
Your Sketchnoter's Starter Kit includes the following:
- Neuland fineOne® Outliner (round nib)
- Neuland fineOne® Artmarker (brush nib)
- Neuland SketchOne felt tip pen 0.5mm
- Neuland GimmeFive+1 Elastic Strap Marker Holder
- Graphic Gear notebook
- Sketchnote reference sheets
- Discount code for use in the Graphic Gear store
About the instructor
Matthew Magain is an award-winning designer, illustrator, author, and speaker. As the CEO of Sketch Group, he is passionate about helping people communicate better using visual language.
Today Sketch Group employs over 20 illustrators, videographers, copywriters, and graphic recorders, and Matthew has become a sought after visual consultant and trainer. He works with organisations large and small, and has contributed to several books on visual thinking, including Mike Rohde's best-selling The Sketchnote Handbook and The World of Visual Facilitation. He has delivered presentations and workshops on the topic in six countries.
Matthew is also the founder of Graphic Gear, the official reseller of Neuland refillable markers for Australia and New Zealand. In 2018 he co-founded the VizConf conference series, Australia's annual gathering of visual thinkers and doers, and in 2019 co-founded Graphic Recorders Australia, the national industry body for graphic recorders.
What participants say ...
- “A fantastic way to communicate my ideas to clients in a fresh, new way. Also, learning to draw again was a real highlight, giving me a lovely sense of achievement, thanks!”
- “Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your class the other day. I got so much out of it and loved the simple techniques you taught us. It’s been so long since I have done anything so remotely creative, and it was just such a refreshing change.”
- “Great class, great format, and have already started recommending it to others.”
- “This was a small group with plenty of opportunity to share others’ experiences and ideas. Lots of practical advice on how to facilitate visually. From tools, to setting up. Highly recommended!”
- “I thought the workshop was great—very informative. Love the hands-on approach. The visual drawing aspects are so interesting. Definitely something I can use for my own storyboards. Thanks Matt!”
- “I thoroughly enjoyed the exercises and the engagement via sketching. Really reinforced teachings. Compelled to delve deeper and apply to what I do. Thank you!”
Interested in Group Training?
We've provided in-house training to clients such as Services Australia, Melbourne Magistrate's Court, World Vision Australia, and others. Get in touch to discuss dates and pricing.